With the popularity of casinos ever-growing, both land-based and virtual, it’s hard to imagine a time when they didn’t exist. In fact, the first casino didn’t open its doors until 1638.
Since then, we’ve seen both real-life and virtual doors open to players across the globe. You’re now offered the chance to grab a game around a physical table with friends and other players, or play online casino games from the comfort of your sofa, or wherever you find yourself logging in on your chosen device.
With the first casino opening almost 400 years ago, how has the popularity remained?
Scroll to find out more.
Since the opening of the first casino, it’s survived the arrival of the internet and the opening of online casinos, so there must surely be a secret to the success of such places. Could it be:
- Atmosphere – Hearing the hustle and bustle of casino goers and the sounds of bells ringing from slot machines in the background. Also, the cheers, laughter and sighs of players from around the room, croupiers calling for last bets and so much more to be heard within the casino establishments. Add this to the sights you see when you step into the building, the anticipation of watching the ball bounce around the Roulette wheel right in front of your eyes and being out and about with friends. All this creates an atmosphere that is hard to replicate.
- Gameplay – When it comes to gameplay within casino establishments, some casinos specialise in certain games, and others offer a bit of everything. With limited square footage, casinos can only offer so much, but what they do offer is live gameplay, a croupier on every table and a selection of games such as Roulette, Poker, Slots, Blackjack and so much more.
- Accessibility – Although travel is needed to get to casino establishments, most casinos are easily located. Plus, when you arrive, there should be wheelchair access to the premises, as well as lifts, wide corridors and walkways making accessibility for all.
- Outing – Is it the idea of having to go to an establishment that’s key to the success of casinos? The thrill of dressing up, if you want to, and heading to a casino with friends or a loved one? The idea of stepping into a place full of gaming history and games gone by?
When it comes to the world of online casinos, we can see a few reasons why the virtual lobbies have become so popular with players around the world, some of which include:
- Accessibility – Wherever you find yourself in the world, from any compatible device connected to the internet, a player can simply log into their account on a provider’s site and play the games offered to them on the virtual casino floor.
- Variety – With an endless lobby floor square footage, hundreds of games can be offered to players, of all varieties, themes and genres.
- Gameplay options – Thanks to the advancements in technology, players are now able to choose whether to play some casino classics as a pre-video game, or live from a specialist studio. It’s also rumoured that some gaming developers are looking to take gaming to the next digital level by adding a Virtual Reality (VR) option to some games found within the online casino platforms.
Whether you’re logging in or stepping into a casino, there will be a variety of games for you to choose from, that just like the casino themselves, have made their way through the history books to be available in the ever-changing world we live in.
Why do you think casinos are so popular today? Is it the accessibility? Is it the games on offer? Or is it something else?